- Manufactured Homes
Owning a mobile home can be more cost-effective than owning traditional real estate, however, there are some significant differences in ownership of these types of property. For example, a mobile home is not considered real estate, but is considered to be personal property even though it is equally considered a dwelling as a traditional home would be.
- You must notify the assessor in the county that the home is presently located.
- The County Assessor's or Auditor-Treasurer's Office will issue a certificate of taxes paid which allows the title to be transferred when presented to the DMV.
- If the move is on state highways, you must obtain an excess size transport permit from the Department of Transportation.
- Be sure all delinquent and current year taxes are paid on the titles manufactured home. Any agreements to pay taxes between buyer and seller are the responsibility of the current titled owner.
- NOTE: When title is submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles for recording a new owners name, by law it must be accompanied by a "Certificate of Taxes Paid" letter issued to the County Assessor's or Auditor-Treasurer's Office. This form shows that the property taxes have been paid in full of the titled manufactured home.
- Provide the buyer with a certificate of title that has been signed by the seller.
- Apply for a new title with the Minnesota motor vehicle division within 45 days of the sale of the new titled manufactured home or within 30 days of the sale of a used title manufactured home.
- Have a certificate of taxes paid that can be obtained from the County Assessor's or Auditor-Treasurer's Office.
- File the application for title in the same county where the titled manufactured home is located.
- Notify the County Assessor's Office within 20 days (in the county where the titled manufactured home is located) that you are the new owner.
- Fill out the homestead packet and return it to the County Assessor's Office by May 29th. (This form can be obtained at the County Assessor's Office and /or printed off line.
- Make sure manufactured homes are titled in your name through any of the Department of Motor Vehicles offices.
- Receive and complete the Homestead Application by May 29th. The application is available through your local County Assessor's Office as well as on our webpage.
- A copy of the title showing the manufactured home is in your name or a copy of the contract will need to be submitted with this packet in order to receive homestead.
- Carefully review tax statements. These should be received around the second week of July with the first half being due on August 31st. If more than $5 in taxes is owning, the second half will be due on November 15th.