- Property Tax System
Property Tax System
Helping you better understand the Property Tax System:
- Do You Think Your Property is Over Assessed (PDF)?
- Property Tax Classification Rates (PDF)
- Tax Glossary (PDF)
- "Who Does What" in the Property Tax System (PDF)?
- Why Property Taxes Vary from Year to Year (PDF)
Property Tax Credit
A reduction of taxes on property that has been declared a disaster by the government body. Examples would include a tornado, fire, flood, or any other natural disaster.
Please contact our office for qualifications and to apply.
The Minnesota property tax system includes a system of classification, based on use. Classification is a definition of how the property is used, determined by its ownership and use. Classifications such as homestead, commercial, and agricultural describe the primary use of a property, and affect the amount of property tax paid.
The assessor determines the classification or use of each parcel. Each classification is taxed and receives credits at a different percentage of market value. These percentages are set by the State Legislature.
- Green Acres
- Senior Citizens
For more information or an application please contact us.
- Senior Citizen Property Tax Deferral Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Please note, completed applications must be returned by mail or in person. All faxed or emailed applications will be rejected.
Blind / Disability
There are classifications for the blind and/or disabled. If all owners do not occupy the property, a partial homestead classification may be given. Please contact our office for an application.
To apply for the blind classification
Taxpayers seeking the blind classification must make application to our office. For the application material and more information, please call 651-213-8550: call 711 for Minnesota Relay.
To apply for the Disability Classification
Taxpayers seeking the disability classification must make application to our office. For application material and more information, please call 651-213-8550: call 711 for Minnesota Relay.
- There are classifications for Disabled Veterans. Please contact our office for assistance.
- Market Value Exclusion on Homestead Property of Disabled Veterans, Primary Family Caregivers, and Surviving Spouses of Veterans and Service Members Fact Sheet (PDF)