Voting & Election Information
The Auditor-Treasurer's Office administers the county functions of Federal, State and Local elections. This office is also a resource to Cities, Townships and School Districts in the election process. This process involves....
- registration and maintenance of voters
- candidate filings, campaign financial reporting
- ballot layout
- electronic tabulation programming
- election judges training
- absentee voting administration
- election day rosters; election night results
Please use submenus to the left for more detailed information
Are you a registered voter?
You can wait until Election Day to register in Minnesota. However, we encourage you to register before Election Day - it will save you time at the polling place. The deadline to Pre-Register is 21 days before the election.
When are elections?
Federal, State, and City Elections are held in even years every two years.
- Primary Elections are the second Tuesday in August.
- 2024 Primary Election: Tuesday August 13, 2024
- General Elections are on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
- 2024 General Election: Tuesday November 5, 2024
Township Elections are held annually on the second Tuesday in March. Except Nessel & Lent Townships, which hold their election during the general election in November.
- 2024 Township Election: Tuesday March 12, 2024
Precinct Caucus Meetings are the first Tuesday in February UNLESS there is a Presidential Primary, then it’s 1 week before the that date.
- 2024 Caucus Meetings: Tuesday February 27, 2024
Locate your Caucus
Presidential Nomination Primary is held on the first Tuesday of March in the year of the Presidential election UNLESS the major parties jointly submit a different date prior to March 1st of the year before.
- 2024 Presidential Nomination Primary (PNP): Tuesday March 5, 2024
Special Elections are held when there is a vacancy to fill or referendum question that needs to be voted on and is outside of the normal uniform election dates or in an off-cycle year.
2023 Special Elections - November 7
- ISD 139 - Rush City Schools
- ISD 2144 - Chisago Lakes Schools
- ISD 911 - Cambridge/Isanti Schools
- City of North Branch
Each School District will have a COMBINED POLLING LOCATION based on your precinct if you choose to vote in person. Be sure you verify where you vote.
Absentee Voting Begins September 22 (contact the jurisdiction directly for more information or an AB Ballot. The County DOES NOT issue AB ballots for special elections).
The MN Secretary of State's Office website is a valuable resource for Elections