Military Discharge Records

Military service organizations strongly suggest recording a service member's Military Discharge Form (DD214) to ensure easy availability to a certified copy of this document if the original becomes lost or destroyed. Upon recording the discharge paper, our office will furnish free certified copies to filer.

There is no charge for the recording of the Military Discharge Form. However, our office has only forms that have been submitted to us for recording. If you need a certified copy, and you did not record it in our office, you will need to contact your local branch of the Veteran's Administration for assistance. 

Military Discharge Records became private as of January 2004. Anyone requesting discharge papers must fill out a "Request for Release of Private Data". Only the veteran, certain family members, and the Veterans Service Officer can request this information.

Learn more at the Chisago County Veterans Services page.