Child Foster Care
We are currently in need of Child Foster Families!
Foster Care is 24-hour care provided to children who are unable to remain in their family home due to abuse, neglect, or other safety concerns. Every day a foster parents' care ensures that children have food, clothing, and shelter, as well as love, understanding, and patience while children and their birth parents work through the difficulties in their lives.
When a child is placed into foster care the goal is to reunite the children with their family. Foster families assist children with the reunification process.
- You must live in Chisago County.
- If you are currently licensed in another county/agency, and wish to have your license through Chisago county, contact your current licensing worker for instructions on a "change of premise" if you live in Chisago County.
- You need to be at least 21 years old.
- You can be single or a couple.
- You must live in a home that meets fire-safety standards and have appropriate sleeping space.
- A Fire Marshall inspection may be required.
- Participate in a home-study that includes interviews with household members.
- Applicants must complete pre-licensing trainings. Training should include the Online Video Training found on our website for initial training.
- Once licensed, training must be completed annually. Your licensing worker will direct you to what is required for ongoing trainings to maintain your license.
- Background checks for all applicants, caregivers, and household members age 13 and older must be done. One may be required for household members age 10 to 12 when there is a reasonable cause. There is no cost for the background study itself, however, there is a fingerprint fee per adult. Minors are not required to be fingerprinted until they turn 18.
OTHER INFORMATION TO CONSIDER
- Foster parents need to have a flexible schedule and reliable transportation. Foster parents may be needed to transport children for visitation and appointments each week. You will need a valid driver's license and automobile insurance.
- Medical and dental costs are covered through Medical Assistance or other insurance provided through a child's family.
Interested in learning more? Please complete our Online Child Foster Care Interest Form that will be submitted to Intake.