Medical Assistance Programs

MNsure = Where You Choose Health Coverage

As of January 1, 2014, everyone in the State of Minnesota is mandated to have some form of Health Care Coverage. Visit MNsure for more information.

Medical Assistance (MA) pays for medical care for very low-income Minnesotans. There are eligibility requirements for the program. Federal and state dollars pay for MA.

This program is different from Medicare, which is a federal health insurance program for people over 65 and for certain people with disabilities.


To apply for MA, call 651-213-5600 or go to the Chisago County Human Service Agency. You can apply even if you are not sure that you are eligible.

When you apply, you will fill out an application form and be asked for proof of some of the information you give. There are people at the county who can help you fill out the application.

What to Expect

If you are found to be eligible, the county will enroll you in the MA program. Every 6 months or yearly, a financial worker will review your situation to see if you are still eligible for health care assistance. You must complete, sign, date and return all forms sent to you by your county agency. If you do not, you will lose your MA.

What to Provide

Your financial worker may ask you to provide:

  • Your last checking or savings account statement and/or sign a release-of-information form for your bank
  • Proof of ownership for stocks, bonds, savings certificates, trust funds or other financial assets
  • Proof of current unearned income
  • Your pay stubs for all family members who are employed for the last 30 days and/or your most recent tax form


The following assistance is available to help Medicare enrollees pay for Medicare:

  • MA for qualified individuals helps pay Medicare Part B premiums.
  • MA for qualified Medicare beneficiaries helps pay Medicare Part A and Part B premiums and Medicare deductibles, coinsurance, and copays.
  • MA for service limited Medicare beneficiaries helps pay Medicare Part B premiums.

Contact your county human services agency to determine if you are eligible.